Saturday, March 24, 2007

Seduced by ...

Caution: Answering the following two part question, biblically, could be dangerous to all that you hold dear.

The Lord’s Supper.
Was it given for people to share individually in a collective? (sounds like the Borg)
Or was it given for the body of Christ to share together as genuine friends?

If I have heard one war story about religious life, I have heard a thousand. We even have an axiom to declare this reality.
"Christianity is the only army that buries its wounded."

I have met some beautiful Christians, within church systems, who are reminding me to keep my head up and not worry about the system that exists. They truly have mastered the huge challenge of keeping their hearts right, in spite of whatever church nonsense is going on around them.

This is all very commendable but I fail to see how this individualistic approach has much to do with the body of Christ, representing Jesus, here on Earth.

Here’s the crux of the matter. Are we to only partake in the Lord’s supper with friends and friends in the making?

Wait just a minute, you're setting me up. I know this is a trick question because if I answer in the affirmative,
that would mean….
if I were to do it that way…
I would have to know others.
Oh my God, it gets worse. Others would have to know me.

But what if there are only a few people that I really know?
Well done, keep that thought.

Doing it in large groups, of more people than one can know, is really a religious counterfeit. For far too many people, it’s comforting to think that in the large setting, that they are doing something that Jesus commanded.

Question: Is it ever right to do it in a large setting?
Answer: In what setting would it be more useful?

Did Jesus really teach individualism? Is that what he died for? Is that what eternity looks like?

But my pastor says…its OK to partake as long as I AM individually perfect.

And they’ll know we are Christians by our…..


taking a thimble and a wafer


and being really, really, really good.


All hail INDIVIDUALISM.
It's what love is all about.


p.s. "thimble and wafer" see Suppertime.

No comments: