Sunday, March 25, 2007

Magic 8-Ball

In my son’s recent blog, Cynical, he is asking the questions that ripple through our culturally defined and narcissistic Christian experience. Essentially we want a God who leads us perfectly with no mistakes allowed. Why should I think when God will tell me when/where to go to church, where to work, which school should I go to, or the grand-daddy of all questions, who should I marry. Any one of these questions can better be answered, by the just as accurate, Magic 8-Ball.

The 20 standard answers on a Magic 8-Ball are:

Signs point to yes.
Yes.
Most likely.
Without a doubt.
Yes - definitely.
As I see it, yes.
You may rely on it.
Outlook good.
It is certain.
It is decidedly so.
Reply hazy, try again.
Better not tell you now.
Ask again later.
Concentrate and ask again.
Cannot predict now.
My sources say no.
Very doubtful.
My reply is no.
Outlook not so good.
Don't count on it.

Ten of the possible answers are variations of "yes", five are ambiguous, and five are variations of "no". If you don’t like the first answer, shake again and go for two out of three.

Here are questions that are being asked of God in other nations of the world.

If I accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour:

1. Will I lose my job?
2. Will my family disown me?
3. Will my friends stone me to death?
4. Will my husband kill me?

The answers to these questions seem just a little more significant and have a high potential of being answered in the affirmative.

Perhaps we should save some of our questions and get to know God as more than a sugar daddy who wants to make life simple: no thinking required.

Jesus definitely wants to be at the center of your life,
but He will not be, your very own, Magic 8-Ball.

3 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

If I shake you will you give me a different answer?

Anonymous said...

Jamie: Why do you want to shake the 8-ball again? What part of the answer don't you like?

Sherry

Jamie A. Grant said...

Heh. I was just playing with him, Sherry. His answer is fine but I haven't exactly been taught that way. In my experience, we as Christians tend to go to God with all of the big decisions. Building a church, gettied married, etc. We expect God to lead us, and we pray expecting a word from Him. If I'm now learning that God intentionally does not give us directions on a silver platter, that's a pretty big change in pace.

Bibleness. Need Bibleness. I can think of examples in which peopler looked for an answer from God and he gave them one. I can also think of the opposite. This is a tough ming game, I need to break it down to see some Bible stuff about this.