Friday, December 28, 2007

The Farmer Question

In a different lifetime, when I was working at General Motors, a friend of mine taught me the most valuable and overlooked question regarding finances. I have often thought about this question and have at times tapped into its faith filled dynamic.

But usually I’m like everyone else asking this question.

Can I afford it?

Farmers don’t think like that. At least not successful farmers.

When spring arrives a farmer doesn’t ask, “can I afford the seed for planting this year’s crop?”

The farmer question is really simple.

Can I afford NOT to buy the seed for planting this year's crop?

What can you afford NOT to do?

Try it and learn what real faith is all about.

Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. Jame 5:7 (NIV)

No comments: