Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What Did Jesus Teach?

A simple question. It will take you between 6 and 10 hours to read through Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Ok, got it. Now let’s move on to higher pursuits, like solving world hunger, equality for all people, justice for all, peace on earth, my trivial pet peeves…

Wait a minute. Let’s go back to the first question. What did Jesus teach?

Listen to what He taught through an excerpt by T. Austin-Sparks.

http://www.austin-sparks.net/english/books/001448.html

"(I would like to send you to your rooms to put your answer down on a piece of paper, and I think it would be very interesting if I were to read out all the answers later on!)

However, the answer is: Himself. He is His own subject. Jesus was always the subject of His own teaching. He related everything to Himself. He said: "I am the way, and the truth, and the life" (John 14:6): "I am the good shepherd" (John 10:14): "I am the bread of life" (John 6:48): "I am the door" (John 10:9): "I am the resurrection, and the life" (John 11:25). He is His own subject. He spoke about many things, but He always related them to Himself. He said very much about His Father, and we may come to see something of what He taught about Him, but He always related the Father to Himself and Himself to the Father. He said: "I and the Father are one" (John 14:9). He spoke much about the Holy Spirit, but He always related Him to Himself. He said much about man, but He always related man to Himself. His own favourite title for Himself was 'Son of man'. He said much about life, but He always related it to Himself and never thought of life apart from Himself. He said much about light, about truth and about power, but always in relation to Himself. He was His own subject of teaching."

Back to my own blundering way of asking questions. If Jesus taught about himself and He is the entire reason for the Bible's existence, why shouldn't our conversations centre on Him?

No comments: