Friday, April 2, 2010

My God, My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me

So many preachers take the view of this passage that Yeshua's father had forsaken him. That is inconsistent with a loving God.

Here is an excellent article giving an alternative view.

My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me?
Eloi, Eloi, Lama Sabachthani
Matthew 27:46, Psalm 22
by John W. Shoenheit

Matthew 27:46
About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani,”—which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

These words that Jesus cried out as he was hanging on the Cross have been a source of much confusion and debate among Christians through the years. Some teach that Jesus became sin, God cannot look on sin, and thus God forsook His Son. Others, citing the following verses, say that God did not forsake His Son when he needed Him the most:

John 10:30
“I and my Father are one.”

John 16:32
“You [disciples] will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.”

2 Corinthians 5:19
“To wit, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself.”

By His very nature, our heavenly Father could not turn away from His only begotten Son, especially at the moment for which God has been preparing him all of his life. Jesus Christ was the crux of history, the one on whose shoulders the salvation of mankind was riding, the one who trusted his Father step by step all the way to this defining moment of His-story. And then God forsook him? That just doesn't make sense. More importantly, it is not what the Bible says.

continued at www.truthortradition.com

No comments: