Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Trap of Knowledge

One of the great quests in life is seeking after truth and then applying it. The danger is assuming that knowledge equals truth and wisdom.

Being satisfied with knowledge can condemn us to eating yesterday’s left overs. I have experienced this more times than I can count.

My pride would trap me into thinking I had fully learned something and therefore did not continue to seek greater understanding on the subject.

Not only did it trap me into not seeking a deeper understanding, when someone else spoke from a different perspective, I couldn’t hear what they had to say. I hate to think about the number of opportunities I have missed to grow and develop due to pride trapping me in yesterday.

This was so true for me during the many years that I practiced and taught tithing. I could do this faithfully and assume somehow that the poor were being cared for. My thinking was, “If they practiced tithing faithfully they wouldn’t be poor.” YUCK

There is a real danger of pride when you have taught something passionately and sincerely for any length of time. Can we admit to being wrong? What will others think of this about face? Will I allow others who have taught me to change their mind as well?

No doubt we need to listen to the prophet Micah,

He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

No comments: