Thursday, April 2, 2009

Jesus Yeshua

Several years ago I changed my name to David. It took awhile for friends and family to make the switch. Even to this day when I meet friends from my pre David days, it takes them awhile to get comfortable with the switch. I guess because of this I'm a little sensitized to the value we place on our names.

I don't want to make a big deal of this but I was wondering why we don't use the Hebrew pronunciation for our savior? When I was introduced to him it wouldn't have mattered to me if I called him Jesus, Yeshua or Bob. Historically the pronunciation got trapped in the Greek translations. Some of that is likely rooted when some anti-semitic church leaders from the 2nd century and on, were trying to separate Christianity from its roots in Judaism.

So now that I know that His name would have been pronounced Yeshua in Hebrew, I think I'm going to try to create a habit of saying it that way. This isn't some weird doctrinal thing, it's just something that interests me.

1 comment:

elderchild said...

Truth always matters.......

Apart from Truth what is there but mirages, shadows and every evil work?

Thankfully Truth is never ending.......